Parents and digital ethics. "What Now?"
An application you can place on your children’s phones to monitor their activity from uKnowKids.org the app is called uKnowKids
- Joe's digitalsafety page PARENTS tag area with lots of articles, resources, videos and more.
- Set Ground Rules for Digital Use in the Home – Translate: Don’t let them stay up all night on that thing” – “Vamping Teenagers Are Up All Night Texting” http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/06/fashion/vamping-teenagers-are-up-all-night-texting.html
- Ten Most Violent Video Games of 2014 (and What to Play Instead) – They will want to play games. Monitor, mentor, steer them in the right direction. https://www.commonsensemedia.org/blog/10-most-violent-video-games-of-2014-and-what-to-play-instead
- Who’s Collecting Kids’ Personal Data? Lots of People – “Marketers are able to harvest youngsters’ data with ease — an ability parents and lawmakers are scrambling to undo.” https://www.openstandard.org/whos-collecting-kids-personal-data-lots-of-people/
- Parents and CyberBullying
- The most current research
- Parent guides in PDF form for Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram and cybersecurity
- 8 Worst Apps for Kids
- “Have a question or digital dilemma? Here you will find age-appropriate guidelines for your family plus videos and articles to help with the tough conversations”. https://www.commonsensemedia.org/parent-concerns
- 5 Hot Tech Toys for Kids in 2014 – “The best gifts of the season are smart choices you can feel good about giving.” https://www.commonsensemedia.org/blog/5-hot-tech-toys-for-kids-in-2014
Cell Phone Parenting – Videos for parents of kids getting cellphones. Spanish versions included.
- This link includes the vast video database of content from Common Sense Media. https://www.commonsensemedia.org/video/advice/cell-phone-parenting.
- They Got The Device… Now What? – What age should my kids be before I let them use Instagram, Facebook, and other social media services? “13 is generally the age when kids start developing a broader understanding of the world around them and, along with that, a better sense of what’s appropriate to share online.”
- Should I get my digital student a device? – “…writing here as a mother. Here are my 10 reasons why I will continue giving my children handheld devices, and all other forms of technology as well.”